Working with a catering consultant takes time and attention
The first meal as a married couple is a memorable occasion for all in attendance. The person behind the scenes, making sure everything is perfect, is the catering consultant.
It all begins with deciding on the time and place for the event. First, couples must pin down a date and gather a rough estimate of the size of the wedding. As most venues recommend booking a year in advance, it’s not necessary to know exactly how many people will be coming in these preliminary stages.
Settling on a location and the logistics associated with the choice of venue must also be finalized early on. Every venue is different, so become familiar with the location and what it will or will not provide. These details will assist in narrowing down your final choice.
Linens are extremely important in setting the atmosphere of the room. The first thing people see when they come into the room is the display of tables. With so many different options available, spend time thinking about that first impression.
Having settled on the budget, date, place and ambience of the wedding reception, it is time to move forward with decisions about food. Many caterers offer wedding packages or à la carte menus in a variety of price ranges.
What to ask the caterer about your wedding meal
- What is the range of cost per person?
- How does the cost-per-person of a buffet compare with that of a sit-down dinner?
- Does the cost vary, depending on the time of year?
- Does that cost per person cover food only, or are such charges such as staff and linens included?
- What service costs are included? For instance, are setting up and cleaning up included? Are gratuities included?
- Is there a special rate for children’s meals?
- Do you provide a wedding cake? If we provide it, do you charge a cake-cutting and serving fee?
- Do you charge for beverage service and/or a corkage fee if we supply our own wine?
- What deposit do you require to hold a date?10.What is the cost if we have to change the date?
- Do you specialize in any style of menu?
- Could any favourite family recipes be included in the menu?
- Are all linens, glasses, plates, silverware, tables, chairs, serving pieces and table decorations provided?
- What colours and styles of linens, glasses, plates and accessories are available?
About the company
- May we see a standard contract?
- May we sample some of your food?
- How many other weddings is your company dealing with during the same weekend?
- Do you have a liquor licence?
- Are you associated with any particular venues?
- May we see photographs from previous weddings you have handled?
- Will you provide contact information for some previous clients? W
Compiled by R. Legault with file from Ottawa